Over the past five years, the gluten-free industry has gained impressive momentum. An increasing number of people are striving to follow a gluten-free diet for better health, including weight loss. Let us try to figure out what gluten is and what it is eaten with.
Gluten is a special type of plant protein that is also often called gluten. It is found as a natural component of some cereals in wheat, rye, barley. Gluten can also be artificially added to other foods – bread, ice cream, sauces such as ketchup as a natural thickener. It is safe for a healthy person, but it plays an important negative role in the existence of celiac disease in humans.
Celiac disease is a congenital, genetically determined disease of gluten intolerance. If the diet of a sick person contains it, the immune cells begin to attack the villi of his small intestine, on which the so-called parietal digestion occurs. At the same time, inflammation begins, the absorption of nutrients is disturbed and symptoms of the disease appear. Clinical symptoms are extremely diverse, can include up to 300 symptoms, the main of which are diarrhea, vomiting, mouth ulcers, weakness, iron deficiency anemia, and many others. The prevalence of celiac disease in different populations is 0,6-1% of the population.
If a person has celiac disease, eating foods with gluten is accompanied by the development of the clinical picture of the disease. These products include mainly foods made from or using wheat, rye and barley – cereals, baked goods and pasta made from traditional flour; sweets – chocolate, cakes, waffles, regular cookies, ice cream, and alcoholic drinks made from cereals. In the absence of these foods in the diet, patients with celiac disease feel normal.
That being said, a gluten-free diet can often be seen among the recommendations for non-celiac patients who are overweight. What will happen to a person with normal gluten tolerance who gives up gluten-containing foods?
Most likely, nothing catastrophically bad will happen. In the diet, the amount of carbohydrates, both simple and complex, will sharply decrease. Due to this, the daily caloric content of the diet can be reduced. If it ends up at a level lower than the daily energy expenditure, weight may begin to decrease. Again, weight loss will not be due to the disappearance of gluten from the diet, but due to a possible reduction in calorie content. That is, if you reduce it in any other way, leaving gluten-containing foods in the diet, the weight will go away at the same rate.
Thus, weight loss on a gluten-free diet is possible, but as an effect of avoiding excess high-carb foods. At the same time, if you completely abandon carbohydrates, the body can reach a state of ketosis, which can be accompanied by unpleasant sensations and side-effects. Therefore, it is not a gluten-free diet that is more suitable for weight loss, but a balanced diet with a balanced ratio of protein, fat and carbohydrates. And whether gluten is included in these products or not is not important for 99% of people without celiac disease.
Gluten-Free Vitamins and Supplements
Gluten-free vitamins are difficult to find, since this substance is part of medicinal coating. If you are struggling to find a gluten-free supplement, Canadian meds pharmacy is the most likely healthcare resource to meet the need for rare combinations, and we do not only talk price and quality correlation. This is a full-on digital platform catering to the needs of uninsured citizens with a thorough personal assistance. Apart from the rest, the pharmacists here will help you choose an option without dyes, sugar substitutes, gluten, lactose and preservatives. It will be interesting for children, pregnant women and many others to know that the choice of useful complexes without vegetable protein are large enough. For gluten intolerance, preference should be given to such drugs:
1. Complexes for children Kirkman Labs.
2. Now Foods Omega-3 Capsules.
3. Country life. This renowned vitamin brand was the first to be Gluten Free Certified (GFCO). Country Life specifically recommends five foods for people with celiac disease: Coenzyme B Complex Capsules, Triple Action Bone (with Vitamins C, D, and K plus Calcium, Phosphorus, Magnesium, Zinc, Copper, Manganese, Chromium and Potassium), soft jellies with vitamin D-3, light iron and chelated magnesium.
4. Solgar Calcium and Magnesium Citrate.
5. Neuromultivitis. This is a complex produced by Lannacher Heilmittel. The medication does not contain vegetable protein. The remedy is prescribed with neuralgia, neuritis, lumbago. This drug is not suitable for children and pregnant women, since there is no information about its safety.
6. Kinder biovital gel. It is recommended for children in the cold season for strengthening the immune system. It contains vitamins of group B, A, E, C and D.
7. Prenatal from Solgar. It is a gluten, lactose free supplement. Contains components specially selected for women during pregnancy and lactation. Its use reduces the risk of developing fetal malformations.
8. Pure Encapsulations. In addition to being certified gluten-free by GFCO, all Pure Encapsulations vitamins and nutritional supplements are free of peanuts, GMOs, magnesium stearate, trans fats and hydrogenated oils, artificial colors, flavors and sweeteners. The line of vitamins and supplements of this brand is extensive: more than 400 items – from acai berry extract to liquid zinc.
9. Bion 3. This is a drug for strengthening the body’s defenses and improving intestinal microflora. It contains a balanced complex of necessary substances.
10. Carlson Nutritional Supplements. Carlson Nutritional Supplements is loaded with omega-3 fatty acids. In addition, it produces selected vitamin and multivitamin supplements. All Carson products are gluten free. They are also free of artificial colors, artificial sweeteners, preservatives, MSG, milk, casein, and yeast.
11. The medicine contains substances related to the action of the group vitamins B. It is designed to stimulate metabolic processes. It is recommended for hypoxia, in the recovery period after surgical interventions, with cardiomyopathies and other dangerous conditions.
12. Centrum vitamins and supplements are available in many grocery stores and chain pharmacies with a colorful label. Centrum produces several different lines of multivitamins for different target groups, including products aimed at women, men, adults over 50. These vitamins are available in tablets and liquid form.